Have you ever been in a situation where you wanted to make a one-dish meal in a slow cooker that called for rice? However, you didn't know when to add the rice so that it would not end up mushy, and therefore making a mess of the whole meal.
Recently , I found myself in just this situation. So, lacking the proper recipe I turned to the web in the hope of finding a suitable one. And eureka, I found the perfect one at The $5 Dinner -Mom's One Dish Dinner website (cute title).
I borrowed it and placed it below. For more of Mom's One Dish Dinner check out her rss feed on the sidebar of this site. Enjoy!
Add the rice to the slow cooker that is cooking on high, when there is 2 hours left in the cooking time. If your slow cooker is set on low, add when there is 2 hours 45 minutes left in the cooking time.
- If you are cooking a soup or stew and you wish to add rice to make it a one dish soup or stew and not have to dirty another saucepan or rice cooker, then add it when there is 2 hours left in the cooking time. Add hot water or broth if necessary. (See note in next tip about liquid amounts.)
- If you are making a chicken and rice casserole like dish in the slow cooker, you can add the rice when there is 2 hours left in the cooking time. You will have to look at the amount of liquid that is in the slow cooker when you add the rice. If it looks dry, then you’ll want to add some hot water when you add the rice. Rice works on a 2 to 1 ratio in the slow cooker, 2 cups water to 1 cup rice, just as it does when cooking on the stove top or baking. So if there is about 2 cups of liquid already in the slow cooker, then just add the rice. If there only seems to be 1 cup, then add in an additional cup of hot water or broth.
This will help keep the rice nice and firm, and perfect for when you are ready to eat. It will not sit in the liquids all day and won’t have time to get mushy!
Also, You can use your slow cooker as a rice cooker. Simply spray the sides and bottom with a non-stick cooking spray. Add the amount of water plus rice that you’d like to cook using the 2 to 1 ratio (explained above). If you are using brown rice, add an additional 1/2 cup, or use a 2 1/2 cup water to 1 cup rice ratio. If you wish to season the rice, do so now. Set the slow cooker on high and cook for 2 hours. Fluff lightly before serving.-----
For the rice alone do the following:
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- cooking spray
- Spray your slow cooker lightly with cooking spray
- Pour in rice, water and salt.
- Cover and depending on your slow cooker, cook the rice on High 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- For brown rice add up to an additional 1/2 cup water or your favorite broth